Need a healthcare screening? It may be available at no cost to you, courtesy of the Affordable Care Act. As of Sept. 23, 2010, the following preventive services must be covered at no cost to you (no copayment, no coinsurance and no deductible).
Top 5 Preventive Services for Adults
- Blood pressure screening
- Cholesterol screening
- Colonoscopy to screen for colorectal cancer
- Type 2 diabetes screening
Top 5 Preventive Services for Women
In addition to the preventive services for adults, women receive the following preventive services.
- Mammogram (every 1 to 2 years for women over 40)
- Breastfeeding support and counseling
- Contraception (FDA-approved methods, education and counseling)
- Well-women visits
Keep in mind, even though these services are available at no charge to you, your employer is still paying a portion of the cost. It’s important to choose a high-value provider so your employer isn’t spending more than they need to spend.
Free Medicare Preventive Screenings
As of Jan. 1, 2011, yearly wellness visits and many preventive services are free for people who have Original Medicare. Make sure you get them from a doctor who accepts Medicare assignment.
- Yearly wellness visits
- Bone mass measurement
- Diabetes screening
- Prostate cancer screening
- And more, see the full list.
- Tobacco use cessation counseling
Note: You may pay coinsurance for the office visit associated with these screenings.